One of the powerful tools in online “email” marketing is to build an opt-in mailing list. An opt-in mailing list is a database of peoples’ names and email addresses that have subscribed to an email list via a web form giving that list owner permission to send them periodic emails on the topic they are interested in. The best gift of this powerful tool is the possibility of being able to talk to people who are particularly interested in your product, service or organization.
This gaining popularity of building opt-in mailing list is known as Permission Email Marketing.
There are do’s and don’ts in starting your opt-in mailing list. Here are some of the most important tips worth mentioning:
- Put a subscription form prominently on your website. You can create your own subscription form using a software Sign-Up to’s form builder.
- Inform people that they can subscribe to your email list on the signature of your normal work emails. This will enable it to link straight through the form on your website.
- Ask people permission if they do want to be subscribed on your mailing list. As much as possible avoid being suspected for SPAM.
- Open options for subscription especially during your interactions with them. Always be ready with your subscription cards if you run in on events.
- Be clear on how people can benefit from subscribing and how often will you contact them. Make them know exactly what they will be receiving.
- If you can, contact new subscriber as soon as you can. Welcome them with notes and tell them what to expect.
- Add everyone who has ever emailed you to your list. Always ask permission first.
- Purchase lists that you are not 100% sure that are opt-in. Always have an evidence to prove the legitimacy of the opt-ins.
- Abuse people’s trust. This is a sure way to ruin your brand and you. Soon enough they will ignore your messages.
Building your opt-in mailing list is cheaper than in sending direct mails. Printing, envelopes and paper used as material further add up to the cost. Here are some ways to effectively start your opt-in mailing list:
- Free Newsletter. One of the most effective ways to build an opt-in list is to offer your online visitors freebies of value such as newsletter which will contain information that they can relate to such as tips, tools, recipes, travel itineraries and others.
- Make it Easy to Subscribe. Provide easy steps for subscription so that subscribers may find it easy to do so and would not be discourage. For more subscribers, tell them the exact benefits they can get out of the subscription.
- Quality Content. Be sure that what is written inside the newsletter, freebies and information found in your website are all of value to increase visitors dropping by your website.
- Forums. Discussion boards and forums are all over the net. Try to actively participate in these boards especially those in the line of your interest or your business. Try to build your reputation with credibility.
- Write articles. This makes you an instant expert in your chosen field of interest. You just have to play on it and use it well in your business goal.
- Co-registration. A very effective way to build a monster list in a very short time.
- Write an e-book. An excellent freebie for those who visited and subscribe in your mailing list. The e-book does not have to be expensively made or elaborate but it can be a compilation or a collection of best articles, business tips and resources.
In building opt-in mailing lists always keep in mind to offer something of value to your prospects. Remember opt-in lists are the foundations of most profitable internet business so do not miss chances for improvement and developing new strategies.
Having an opt-in list is not easy, it is hardwork but with some relieving advantages too. But to build an opt-in mail list has to be focused and effective in truly capturing the desired target. Take a look at these 10 Quick Easy Steps to Building A Highly Targeted and Responsive Opt-in List.
- Choose your target market or niche. Remember you are not the only one competing in internet marketing; you have to be sure who your internet marketing is.
- Be sure that you can reach your target audience online.
- Do not waste on time on a non-profit investment or spending. Always monitor your spending.
- Forums and discussion boards are available for maximum use. Find your target market problems.
- Identify what is keeping your customers from getting what they want and help them get it.
- Try offering your viewers solving some of their problems.
- Set up a simple direct response mini-site.
- Get an auto-responder account. It is important for you to acquire and set this thing up because this is where your visitors will come.
- Bait your potential customers through giveaways like: ebooks, special reports, mini courses and coupons, etc.
- Reach out in any way you can to your target market.
Opt-in building is a tedious work but with amazing results. The process of building it takes time and effort but persists. Always treat your “find” as a goldmine so that you will offer them the best deals in the market, those with great quality and value. Doing all these, would earn you credibility and a profitable business on the Internet.
Last modified: August 10, 2022