Before, people have laboriously made sure they know where they are heading to just to avoid getting lost. They created detailed maps, erected landmarks, and memorized the positions of the stars in the night sky. But that was before.
Later, with the availability of accurate maps, nobody has to memorize the stars in the sky and nobody has to erect landmarks.
Today, there is no need to do all these things. With a device that could pinpoint your exact location in an instant, you can eliminate all the hassles of early practices. So when you are out for a hike, mountain climb, or just a simple camp out on the wilderness, all you need is one device: handheld GPS.
To help you choose one that is right for you, here are the top picks for handheld GPS:
1. Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld Navigator– is a battery operated handheld GPS that is capable of guiding your way through different US state highway, boundaries, European countries, provincial boundaries of Canada, and several other worldwide cities. All you have to do is install your desired location from a software to this receiver and you will see where you are going in its 2.8in w x 6.1in h x 1.3in d 1.8in w x 2.4in h display. It uses Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) for more accurate pinpointing of location with ASAP II Technology™ that makes this handheld GPS works 2 times faster that ordinary GPS receiver. It uses a 32 mega-byte memory card for map installation. The Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld Navigator keeps you on course wherever you are.
2. Garmin eTrex Vista – If there could be one GPS available in the market today with supreme functionality and jam-packed features; the Garmin eTrex Vista should be the one. The Garmin eTrex Vista has 24MB internal memory capacity capable of storing numerous kinds of data and can store different types of maps. The high resolution LCD gives Garmin eTrex Vista the advantage in giving crisp details for easy reading even for small type. With the use of Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), it provides less than 3 meters of position accuracy. And the eTrex can stay dry for 30 mins under 3 ft. of water with its waterproof coating and rubber for shock absorption.
3. StreetPilot 2650 GPS Handheld – Once you are out on the wild or making finding the way between tall buildings, the StreetPilot 2650 can do its job best. It possesses all features of the 2610 as well as a large color display, built-in maps, a voice prompt, and an automatic route capability with touch screen that makes navigation easier. It can pinpoint your exact position with accuracy that depends on the WAAS technology.
4. Garmin eTrex Standard – If you want simple yet could make your way to your desired destination, the Garmin eTrex should be your choice. Though it lacks other upgraded features you would look for a GPS, you wont be having any trouble using it. This pocket size GPS is perfect for beginners.
5. Magellan GPS 315 – If you want worldwide navigation, this one is for you. With more than 15,000 cities available, this pocket-sized GPS could get you going anywhere in the world.
These 5 wrap up the top picks for handheld GPS. It is up to you to decide which one you should prefer.
Last modified: August 18, 2022